Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Preserving Heritage in Her Neighborhood

Preserving Heritage in Her Neighborhood

"Last April, Iplaced an article in my neighborhood newsletter telling people what I do with Heritage Makers. One of my neighbors, Chris, asked if Iwould be willing to put together a book for her two children. We met together and agreed upon the book type, the time frame and the price of the project. Iwas very nervous about the project because this was the first time I had created a book for someone other than myself.

My neighbor organized all of the pictures, told me which pictures should go on which pages, and gave me text to go with each one. The only design advice she had for me was to keep it simple and classic. She handed everything over to me in the beginning of September. Iwent to Reunion looking for ideas, and Icame back with so much more, including the option to create the book in the new 11x13 Legacy Edition! My neighbor and her husband loved the new size and the leather cover with dust jacket.

Now it was time for me to get started. Iscanned over 225 photos and created a beautiful book of over 100 years of their family history. Iwould meet with Chris to review what Ihad completed and she would proofread my work.

This book was intended as a surprise Christmas present for Chris’ two grown children, Sandy and Todd. During the creation process, Ihad to be discreet when Icalled or met with my neighbor, and Ihad to check and make sure the kids’ cars weren’t in front of the house.
During this process, my neighbor became very ill. Fortunately, gall bladder surgery provided some relief. Chris called me on Christmas Day to share how much her children loved the storybooks about their heritage. Chris’ daughter Sandy explained that one day, during this book creation process, she had called her mom’s house while Iwas there. Chris’s husband, Bob, answered the phone and told Sandy that her mom couldn’t come to the phone because Laura was here. "Oops," said Bob, "Iwasn’t supposed to tell you that." Sandy thought Iwas a nurse and that her mom was much worse than she had been letting on. When Sandy found out who Ireally was, she was elated and relieved.

Before working on this book, Ihad only known Chris as a neighbor. I’d wave or say hello or talk to her about neighborhood issues, but that was all. Working with her on this storybook, Ireally got to know her. She is a wonderful woman who cares so deeply about her family. Ifeel blessed that she chose me to help her preserve her heritage. Heritage Makers made it possible for me to develop a friendship with someone Imight not have gotten to know otherwise."

—Laura Harris

No comments: